Sunday, July 25, 2010

Question about talking to my teenage son about sex, advice on how to best make sure he understands?

I am the mother of a (typical I guess, *sigh*) 16 year old son. I had my suspicions that he had been sexually active for some time (mostly after I found long strands of hair in his bed after I'd come home from a business trip). I tried to talk to him about sex, protection and responsibility as early as I could, but I think he was too young to understand. Well, yesterday I found condoms that he hid in his dresser. So I decided to sit him down and really have a real take with him, but of course, he wanted nothing of it. He did admit to being sexually active and said he has been with about 10 girls so far! I asked him if he used condoms every time and he said yes whenever the girl says she isn't on the pill. This really concerned me because he seemed totally oblivous to the possibilities of STD's, or if the girl isn't taking the pill properly.Question about talking to my teenage son about sex, advice on how to best make sure he understands?
I think you reacted great!


At first you should really take him to a STD test.And there would be no way out of it.


And up to that appointment,you should just tell him that you are afraid of loosing him.I think honesty is the only thing what reach a teen.


and a little bit of shock therapy too:


show him this page:


http://posornot.com/





maybe it will click.





to all that no sex before marriage blabla.. I think that's just not helpful.


And I also say,that a baby is maybe the best possible outcome from a unsafe sexual relationship compared to HIV and Hepatitis...Question about talking to my teenage son about sex, advice on how to best make sure he understands?
Personally id ground him, i believe in a no sex before marriage.





Tell him what happens when he has a child at age 16, it will scare him a little, he wont show it though.
You need to try to make him realize that sex can result in baby.


Is he ready for a baby...probably not.


Tell him he should be using condoms EVERY time no matter what.


You could also have him get tested for STDs, he could have one.





If you really want to have an impact you could have him carry around a sack of flour, see how he likes it.
You need to really sit him down and talk to him about the reality of STDs and pregnancy.


Regardless of what he wants to do! You are the parent here. He is only being halfway responsible and should be using a condom every time. On top of that, if he is having casual sex with a girl, who is to say that girl isn't having sex with other boys?


Just sit him down, tell him to listen and that you are not being judgmental- that you know what can happen and how hard it can be. And that you know firsthand that hardships of a teenage pregnancy...I know that being the child of a teenager firsthand, how hard it made my mother's life personally. He needs to know that it isn't easy. That yes it can happen.
Im probably not the best candidate to answer this question, as I had a daughter at 16. But from my knowledge of being a teen parent it is not fun. I love my daughter more than life itself but it had been the most difficult thing in my life. Your son probably is embarrassed to talk to his mother about sex but you could plan something like a movie night with just the 2 of you...go to a movie, then dinner and try talking again. Print off some facts offline that show information about teenage STD's, pregnancy, and teenage pregnancy statistics, as I know they are VERY high these days. The movie and dinner will loosen him up and he will want to talk more. I'm VERY glad to see you're interested in talking to your child about this, as my parents never cared to talk to me about sex. Being a teen parent is harder than anyone could imagine and i don't advice young sex to anyone now that I went through what i have. I hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!!


**I listed 2 websites. The first is about ';the talk'; and the second is about Teen STD's**
  • topical cream
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment