Thursday, July 29, 2010

Advice for coping with a teenage son?

My son has just started college and I feel like im loosing him, I just dont seem to be able to talk to him anymore and we just end up shouting at each other. I get really upset about the way he talks to me, sometimes its as if he thinks im intruding on his life when I ask him simple questions, like where has he been! Will this get better?Advice for coping with a teenage son?
I think it will get better but im going through the same with a teenage daughter,She seemed to get up one day and become such the opposite of what she was and its really upsetting.He is at an age where he will become his own person and want to be left to grow up a little and not asked questions which seems to be what they out it as ';doing their head in type of questions';He is at an age where he feels like he dosent have to answer to anybody and least of all his mum.


Try as hard as it is to act a little like you are not so concerned over what he does or where hes been.Praise him lots and ask if hes had a good time rather than where he has been.


Its probably easier with a boy than a girl as i worry about teenage pregnancy etc etc whereas with a boy its more worrying about drugs and like you say where they are going.


They all do come through it i have been told,they all mature and come back to how they were only older its sad i know you feel like you have lost them forever but it dosent last forever.As for the way he speaks to you there are lots of kids who do that,my daughter has had me in tears,i now dont let her see the weak side of me as it made her more off with me for some strange reason.The teenage mind is a funny thing and trying to understand it will leave you tired and so stressed inside.Millions of us are going through it,unfortunately we arent given a manual on how to deal with it and it can become so depressing at times.Hang in there!im trying!! There is no text book answer,you cannot make your son be what you want him to be as he has reached an age where he feels like he is his own person.Hopefully we will laugh at this in years to come!Good luck.Advice for coping with a teenage son?
Your lad needs his own space.How would you feel if he started questioning were you had been .and wanted you to answer to him all the time,


Cut the strings and let the lad breath

Report Abuse



my brother is 29 and still grunts when asked where he has been, (he lives with partner and has own home now) your best bet is not to ask and if he wants you to know he will tell you, even if you did ask he would only tell you want he wanted you to know, just leave him be, I know its hard but he is creating his new life now and as parents we have to take a back seat, even though it hurts like hell.
Having been a teenage son at some point I remember during my college years that my relationship with my parents (especially my mum) was a little volatile. It's all part of growing up. He's asserting his position in the world at the moment, once he's done that things will get back to normal. My mum and I were sorted by the time I was 21 and we are still really close now.
It is normal, he is growing up, don't worry so much. One day he will be saying that he is sorry for the way he treated you!
I cant answer this particular one but look forward to the replies. My son is nearly 13 and whenever I ask him something even straightforward he is quite moody when he replies which is sooo irritating. I understand that this is a phase they go through and the most important thing is to make them realise that you are on their side and to keep the lines of communication open. Apparently you will eventually get your son back.
He'll come running straight to you when he needs something, especially money. And he'll forget about what he said about you ';intruding.';
I don't think that its normal you are his mother and he needs to know who is the boss...I don't care if he is a teenager. You don't shout at your mother.





It seems as if he don't have respect for you. Is he spoiled? what caused him to be this way? Was he like this when he was young?





Its only going to get worse at his age he should know better and I'm sure you have taught him well.. You need to have a talk with him ASAP....it seems he forgot who the boss was. dont let him walk over you. I dont care how old he is he still needs to have respect for his mother





I can not believe every one is saying this is ok. Its not ok. if he just entered college hes what 18 he is still a child..His mind has not fully matured as of yet and he needs to get it together.





I guess he thinks because he is halfway grown he can do whatever, uh no, you pay for him to go to school and I'm sure you still buy his clothes if he wants to act like a man treat him just like one....dont do anything for him.





I could never yell or shout at my mom nor my brothers I would have gotten my head cut off by her, dad, grandmother, uncle aunt or whatever adult was around dont let him walk over you
just support him best you can...this means not sending him spending money. try writing emails back and forth instead. give him space. don't ask him ';where have you been';, he is grown up now...I know it's hard to accept...My parents were always asking me that...but I told them because it made life so much easier! He'll learn.





just tell him that if he lives in your house he needs to respect your rules. otherwise, he should move out and live in the dorms.
No not for some time teenages hate been asked questions.
Im 20, and my answer for this question would be; Give him his space, and think about rewording your questions. Let him tell you about what he wants to tell you about. Get on the subject, But don't seem like your prying. He could be going through some tough times at his age, Give it time. He will come around. Good luck!
it will only get better when us mums come to terms that our babies r growing up and have a life outside the home, he is going through the ';what ';mode at the moment, just keep your cool and ignore the grumpyness, but yes you still have the right to know that he is safe and where he has been. just talk to him if that dont work right him a note explaining this. just remember he will always come to u 4 help. from a mum with 4 teenagers been there and still doing it its hard but worth it when they get over it.
  • topical cream
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment