Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Can I get advice preferably from parents with teenage kids...?

if you've seen this question already, that's because I've decided to post in 2 categories...





Our son, Daniel has had a huge crush on his best friend's cousin ever since they first met 2 years ago and recently finally got the nerve (not knowing exactly how old she was, he said) to tell her how he felt and pretty much asked her to be his girlfriend and at first she told him not now because she's 18 and he's only 14 (we would have never guessed she was 18, she looks 12) then she called him yesterday and said she would carefully consider the relationship on 2 conditions.. the first one was that we approved of the relationship and her.. the second was that it remain stictly platonic until he was 18...


she came by after calling to meet us and I have to say, she is extremely responsible and a really good girl... really the type of girl we'd like to see our son with... and as responsible as she is, she'd probably be able to keep him out of trouble... we told Daniel we'd think about it but need to know how other fellow parents would think





I would say more about the girl but I know the question would be WAYYY to long as it isn't already.... so all I'll say for now is she hits me as a responsible, respectable girl who definitly won't take crap from anyone so she definitly would put my son in his place if he ever tried anything...


my son is very mature for his age, he's definitly more mature than other 14 year old boys....





please, no rude answers...


Can I get advice preferably from parents with teenage kids...?
whatever you think is the right thing :)


if you think shes responsible, respectable and all that, i think you have your answer.Can I get advice preferably from parents with teenage kids...?
I Would Never Let My Son Date Anyone


Older Then Him.


Hes Under The Age Of 16


So Thats Basically illegal.


Theres Alot Of Things They Could Prosecute


Her For


But Then Again


Its Their/Your Decision


And Whatever Happens. Happens..????


But If They Really Like


Eachother Then


They Should Be Able To


Wait A Couple More Years.



you know it seems to be the norm the other way around ,and I know you are suppose to trust your kids. But you always have to go with your gut feeling.
%26lt;so all I'll say for now is she hits me as a responsible, respectable girl who definitly won't take crap from anyone so she definitly would put my son in his place if he ever tried anything...%26gt;





I think you have your answer.
thats still a big age gap, his penis works, you honestly think he and she will keep it in his pants for the next 4 years? i know you think she is responsible and all, but sooner or later either she will break up w/ him if she has enough self control cause lets be honest, she'll be 22 before she gets any action from him or 2, she will give in and then you'll have a possible illegal situation develop. i mean she is what a senior in highschool, maybe a junior if she is stupid or even a college freshman and hes in 8/9th grade? seems kinda fishy that a girl of her age and position would consider going out w/ a 14 year old. even if it was platonic. besides, if its platonic then there is not dating going on, they are just friends.








besides, his best friend doesn't care about him dating his cousin? esp. with the age difference?
I am sorry to say that as responsible as she is, and as mature as he may be, they both still have hormones. And I well know, as I am a mother of two teenage boys (13 and 16) and two girls (15 and 18) not to mention two more 7 yr boy and 6yr girl.





It sends my mom radar off into high gear. With all the bells and whistles, yes light and sirens too. If ever the emotions got to be to intense,and you were a girl once so you know what I am talking about, and the hormones kicked


in too...........T R O U B L E ! ! ! !





There is just too much that could happen. And then how does the title Grandma suit you? Or better yet, Statutory Rape and Sex Offender. these are not intended to be rude, but just the honest possible real outcomes if something were to go wrong. She is 18 and he is a minor.





I definitely would not allow it for any of my children, boys or girls, no matter the maturity level of either party. If they are that mature and responsible, and the feelings are there, they can wait until it is legal. If it real it will last.





I wish you luck in this dilemma.....and my mommy thoughts are with you.
What type of 18 year old girl would go for a 14 year old boy? 18 year olds go for hot 21 year olds. Not young 14 year olds. My guess is that there is something wrong with this girl. I'm sorry that is not normal. As ';mature'; as your son seems, this is just not right.





18 year olds are in, or about to begin college. Starting careers. 14 year olds have just started high school, and may even just began puberty. Nothing to relate to. 4 years is A LOT at this point in their lives.





This is just a bad situation and I would not agree with it as a parent.
Wow, I had to stop and really think about this one, keep in mind he is still a child at 14, and personally I think that would not be a good Idea. I have 2 girls 17,20 and one boy that's soon to be 4, and the thought of letting any of my kids have a BF or GF at 14 that would be pretty irresponsible on my part as a parent, 16 is a more appropriate age to start dating. And you say she is a good girl I don't want to down her, but do you really know how she acts when she is not around adults? I too was a good girl growing up, but I also did things I knew I was not supposed to do . And that part where she said she wants to be Platonic I would not even take the chance, cause anything is possible you as an adult know that , you have 2 teens with raging hormones, but that's just my opinion good luck
This whole situation rings of oddity to me. Think of your 18 year old self... now considering you were even half as responsible as this young lady can you see yourself wanting to date a 14 year old? I mean really.


I think she is using you as a scapegoat hoping you would say no so she doesn't have to hurt his feelings. And the only reason she does care about his feelings is because of the bond between her cousin and he.


Just seems weird. She can go to a nightclub and he can't even drive.. with a parent in the car.


My vote is no.
Well she does seem responsible. And that is a good point someone else said, that it seems normal for an 18 year old male to date a 14 year old female, so what is the reverse different. The thing is, I think in both cases, the relationship should be only platonic and slow. I would also suggest keeping a very close eye on them too. I would suggest that if was the other way around gender speaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment