Wednesday, August 18, 2010

ADULTS ONLY PLEASE!! What advice do you have for teenage girls with weight issues?

There seems to be a lot of questions from teenage girls with unfounded weight issues. In the last two days I have responded to 4 girls who had concerns of being ';to fat';, three of which were dramatically underweight and the forth was in the middle of the healthy weight rang for her age.





This is a growing problem in our culture and we have all had to deal with the pressures put on women to be thin and beautiful (be it personally or through counseling friends/relatives).





I was hoping that maybe those girls (not that I am one of them) could get some advice on this matter because it is truly becoming a wide spread epidemic.ADULTS ONLY PLEASE!! What advice do you have for teenage girls with weight issues?
It's very tough these days with all the crap that goes around with the media. I mean these girls are pretty much brainwashed from a VERY young age because they are surrounded by the pressures of the media and peers and sadly, in some cases, parents and family members.





I have been there and I still struggle every day with my body image. When I was 11 I developed an eating disorder that I finally managed to get control of when I was 17. It was one of the darkest times of my life. And I still deal with a body image disorder that I know I will always have for the rest of my life but I will never let it control me again.





I actually am in college now studying to be a nutritionist because I want to help kids avoid what I (and many others) have suffered through.





My message to these girls is: you will not get thin by starving your self or purging. You will be on a constant cycle of losing and then gaining weight. You will look horrible. Your skin will become dull. You will lose hair. You will get dark circles under your eyes. It is not a glamorous thing. Take it from me...I have been through it, and I was NEVER happy.ADULTS ONLY PLEASE!! What advice do you have for teenage girls with weight issues?
I think these girls should try to really look at themselves. Even if they feel that there are things not right about themselves, really look cause there is beauty in every female. So everyday look at yourself and complement yourself on these things. I haven't seen any of you but I really don't think that you are ';fat';. I think its just people around you and people on tv and things, that make you think that way. But like I said I'm sure you are all beautiful people. All you need to do is just say it.
What would answering it here do?


But its a matter of how they see themselves, some ';fat'; girls know they are beautiful, other think of themselves as ugly.. So instead of trying to lose wieght, i belive girls should try to love thier body for how it is.


p.s im 16, hope my answer counts
Indeed, you are right, now there are mental disorders because of this, people will focus and worry too much about their weight, you shouldn't, only if you really know your overweight or obese.
i'm coming back to this question and looking at the answers.


i need help.
The media seem to be for ever suggesting that there is a globesity problem and that far too many people are ruining their health because they are overweight.





Perhaps a lot of young girls are overreacting to these reports and a lot of them who are actually underweight imagine that they are overweight. Even when people tell them they are underweight they seem to switch off and don't want to hear it.





Some young girls seem to imagine that thinner means better looking and more attractive. How can it be attractive if a young girl looks like a stick? Some young girls aspiring to become models seem to think that being thin as a stick is what is required.





Beautiful women like Marilyn Monroe, Jayne Mansfield, Gina Lollibrigida and Sophia Loren were certainly not underweight.
  • facial
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment