Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Advice needed from parents of teen dancers/ teenage dancers?

I have been dancing for 2 years previously and this is my 3rd year. I am currently doing 2 pre-pointe classes, intermediate lyrical, advanced hip-hop, and beginning jazz. I am 14 years old and a freshman in high school. All of my classes are on different nights, except for one of my pre pointe classes is on the same night as jazz. The problem is that I am supposed to be in intermediate jazz and shouldn't be in beginning and that is what my teacher recommended, but intermediate jazz is also on a different night as all of my other classes. I think that my parents are absolutely wonderful and I appreciate it sooo much that they are already driving me 4 nights but i asked them to drive me the one extra night for int. jazz but they said that i could only do it if i dropped a class. I really don't know what to do. Basically i could go on forever about how mucch i love to dance and how passionite i am about it and how its like my first love... So are there any parents of dancers out there or teenage dancers out there who have been in a similar situation or have any advice for me??? I would appreciate any advice...thank you very much!!Advice needed from parents of teen dancers/ teenage dancers?
Are there any other dance studios nearby that might have a schedule which might work better for you?





I don't know if this is possible, but is it possible to ask your instructor if you could assist in teaching the beginner class? In exchange, perhaps you could get a few minutes of intermediate instruction just before or after that class. Have you spoken with your instructor about your dilemma? Perhaps they might have some ideas that will work for you. Advice needed from parents of teen dancers/ teenage dancers?
my daughter was in a competition team with a similar schedule, why don't you check with some of your friends and see if you can carpool so your parents wont have to drive every Night, maybe they can rotate and work out a schedule with some of the other parents or maybe some of the older girls could pick you up?
I think you need to be more considerate to your parents. it costs money to put you in those classes you know and you are in more than one. I think they are already being more than accommodating and I think you should chose. drop a class if you want int. jazz that badly. come to a compromise.
its not always easy for your parents to drive you. i've found that if you have a friend who lives near you, you could catch a ride with them, walk, or have siblings drive you.


maybe you could do something for your mom in trade for her driving you... [breakfast in bed, more chores, wash her car...]



I think you need to realize that your parents have other things to do besides drive you to and from your events. Perhaps you could find a solution by carpooling with someone in your class.
You have to compromise.


and Respect their wishes.


Good luck and keep dancing
keep it the way it is dont change it
I totally understand where you're coming from. I think you're a great person for paying for the classes and actually caring about what your parents think.





Is there anyway you could car pool with anyone from your studio? I think that would be the best option. Maybe your mom can pick them up a few days and they do the same for you?





If not you may want to see if they have classes that are back to back on the same day. If they're not exactly on your level I think you'll be ok. You can always use work on your technique.





Good Luck!
I'm the oppsite way, I was the kid who always had class all over the place! I think, considering you're being very responsible annd paying for 3 classes (and seriously, at 14 thats awesome for you to assume that much) your parents should be willing to help you out. Not that they aren't, but you know what I mean.


If you need to drop a class, I might suggest one of the pre-pointe classes. I'd suggest talking to your teacher to see if its absolutely necessary, especially if you'll get those needed basics in one class. I really think the other classes will make up for it. There's only so much you can do before you exhaust the point (no pun intended) of a pre-pointe class, and it sounds like you won't be in there for long anyway if you've advanced this much in three years.


If its the money, cause frankly dance can be really expensive, would your teacher allow you to assist a class? Or do some clerical work for the studio? In exchange for the time you put in, could she waive or discount the fee of the extra class? If you could arrange that, especially on a day you're already there, your parents might not feel as strained by the extra day.


I'm sure they realize how important it is to you, and I think its awesome you acknowledge how much they help you out (believe me, a lot of girls your age would be brats about this) and if you can find a reasonable compromise I'm sure they'd be willing to help you out.


Good luck, I'm interested to see how this pans out!
Not confusing at all. Your parents would probably really appreciate it if you asked other girls in your class who live near you - who are also taking your dance classes if they would be interested in carpooling. You could get the numbers, get it tentatively set up and then talk to your parents about it.





If my children came to me having done that I would be so overwhelmed with their thoughtfulness and enterprise that I would FIND A WAY to make it happen.





You sound like a lovely girl and daughter. Glad you found a passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment